Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Prayer Before Reading Scripture

"Lord, help me today to read and understand Your written Word. I acknowledge that without the help of Your Holy Spirit, all my efforts to study the Bible are in vain. I further understand that any agendas or prejudices I bring to the study of Scripture will only interfere, so I ask that You cleanse my mind of all distractions and anything spiritually toxic. My time with the Bible is also time with You. If it is not, it is time wasted. Beyond this, my time with the Bible is Your time with me. So, I ask and invite You to have Your way with me and in my life. Help yourself to my heart, soul, spirit, mind, and body, so that I may serve and represent You well. All honor and glory be to Your Holy Name: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen."  

2 comments:

christopher said...

Thanks. This will be my set aside prayer for scripture time. It's good to remember/know that I can call on God's strength to keep distractions away, and not beat myself up thinking it's up to me...Blessings! CPD

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this prayer. May God bless you and keep you.

Beverly Gardner