Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The "Einstein" Bible Reading Plan

This Bible reading plan asks the most work and time. The core of it is that you read through the Bible in a year: a great and worthwhile accomplishment. You don't need a special plan for this, really. You can follow the plan laid out in the Daily Bread, the RBC devotional we hand out at Goodwill Church every season. The 2009 plan it has features readings through both the Old (3 chapters) and New (1 chapter) Testaments every day. My suggestion here builds on this. Specifically, the "Einstein" plan:

1) Uses the Daily Bread "Through the Bible in a Year" reading plan
2) Uses the new ESV Study Bible (with the online helps it comes with)
3) Uses the online personal notes feature
4) Incorporates ALL the study notes

Of course, you're free to adapt this plan any way you want. I've read through the Bible 14 times in the last 15 years using 5 different English translations. 3 times I've read all Study Bible notes with the Scriptures. It takes time, but it's worth it, if you can pull it off. Please don't feel bad or guilty if you can't. The whole idea behind all Bible reading plans is that you read and enjoy the Scriptures. You weave them into your daily life and God weaves you into His. This plan isn't for everybody. There are two others I'll be writing about here as well.

So, in summary, the "Einstein" plan follows the Daily Bread reading plan (also available online) using the ESV Study Bible. You read the text (with or without the audio online), you read all the study notes, you record any observations, questions, insights, etc. in the online personal notes or in a notebook. For those who want an extra layer of accountability, you may email me a copy of your notes every quarter, editing out anything too personal to share. 

This is the plan I'm using in 2009. Ask any questions you like. Keep in mind that this web site will be silent and questions/comments may remain unanswered in January and February 2009 due to my sabbatical. Pastors Dave and Jay can help you in my absence. May God richly bless you through the reading of His Word!

    

2 comments:

christopher said...

"You weave them into your daily life and God weaves you into His"
Yes! this and your scripture set-aside prayer reminds me of the times I read a passage and see something that had not been there before - and also - that I need not worry when I am not getting something. It's all in His time. Thanks for the Einstein!(the EBRP). Blessings, CPD.

Anonymous said...

So.. I pray for the Holy Spirit to quicken my spirit, open my brain and put a brake on my tongue, I read according to the Daily Bread plan, read the study notes, journal all of the epiphanies, the "what is that doing in there" episodes, and the usual angst that I know less about anything every time I read the Bible. Yes? Not to mention the trips to the commentaries, the dictionaries, and most of all the trip to my knees. Yes?

There are no boundaries. The Holy Spirit could go anywhere with this and drag me along for the ride. s c a r y. I'll do it. Provided I can hum the Ramones.

If you don't have someone to journal their work in this plan, and you don't mind meanderings through church history and alot of questions through the journey, I'll volunteer.