Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bible Reading Hints and Helps

1) The Bible is recorded in many different versions. You can simply listen. You can also follow along with a recorded version as you read. This helps you keep your mind from drifting and actually get through significant amounts of text.
2) Keep a Bible open at work or at home where you work. Just having it open will help you want to pick it up and read a few verses. This is part of what's behind the idea of a big Family Bible.
3) With so many variations of Bible available today, make sure you buy one (spare no expense) that you like to see and hold. This is the Word of God after all.
4) Understand which versions of the Bible are best for each circumstance. The NIV is a good overall translation. It is a "dynamic equivalent" translation (thought by thought). The ESV, NASB, NKJV, and KJV are all good too. They are "essentially literal" translations of the Bible (word by word). Then you have individual translations like "The Message." I like the NIV for overall use, but am growing fonder and fonder of the ESV. The NASB is my major English study Bible. It's what you use when you have to know what it "really says." The NKJV and KJV are classics. It's a good idea for every Christian to own one of each as well. Having many translations around the house is a good idea. If you have questions about a translation, please feel free to ask. 
5) Remember that the Real Word of God is the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments in THEIR ORIGINAL LANGUAGES. The Old Testament original language is Hebrew (with a little Aramaic) and the original language for the New Testament is Koine Greek (ancient "street" Greek).  

4 comments:

lenchkaspath said...

Hi Pastor John,

Have you ever heard of this link? A friend of mine introduced it to me. It comes free via email everyday. Below is the description and link.

Helena

From the site:
"Encounter with God readers follow a systematic daily Bible reading schedule that will cover the New Testament twice and the Old Testament once in a five year cycle. Written for experienced Bible readers, daily comments focus on a thoughtful exposition of the Biblical text followed by suggested questions to help the reader apply insights from the reading to daily life. Each issue includes a "through the Bible in one year" feature as well as a weekly group Bible study component."

https://scriptureunion.gospelcom.net/catalog.php?product_id=1

John said...

Hi Helena:

Thanks for this. I've definitely heard of Scripture Union. A friend of mine from Arrow works extensively with them. I'll add their link.

Blessings,
John

Dee Hall said...

Hello Pastor John,
First I want to say that Blogspot is a great way to get the message out. So many people us this site. I too have a blog spot.
I used to use my laptop in the bathroom when I would shower. I have alot of teaching tapes/cds, so I would listen to them. Also your sermons could be could be listened to.
I have to tell you that we havent been to church in about a year. Friends of ours that we had lost contact with also attend your church. We ran into them at his parents business. When we got talking, we found out that they attend your church! So we decided to go with them this past Saturday at the 5 oclock service.
I feel this was ment to be. Its funny how God puts people in your path that are there to help guide you.
Its not like we just didnt want to go to church. I have been sick for a little over a year. I just had surgery about a month ago. It was the 3rd one in 4 months. I have never prayed so much in my life, as I have in the last year.
It is my faith that gets me through each day. I decided a long time ago that this is out of my hands, I had to put in Gods hands and keep on living. That is what I have done.
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful gift of encouragement, inspiration, consideration, and love. I find your service to be very welcoming and easily understood. See you this Saturday.

Be Well
Darla

Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor John,
Here's the website for Chuck Swindoll's daily devotional (along with many other resources).
www.insight.org

Thanks for sharing another amazing message from the Psalms last night (139)...the 'secret ingredient' is expanding and enriching the flavor of our Christian walk:)

Blessings,
Jane